Monday, August 28, 2017

Prior Experiences and Hopes

    Growing up, my parents did not believe in allowing me to use technology on a regular basis. They preferred that I play outside, read books, or take care of the animals on our farm. Because of this, I have a lower technology competency than many in my generation. For example, I got an iPhone my senior year of high school, which is many years later than most of my friends. Despite this fact, I have been able to learn about technology on a very basic level through school, and my peers. I have learned how to use basic functions of Microsoft Word, I can share and create using Google Drive, and I can even set up a Wii with minimal assistance.

      Even though I have not had the same experience as many, I hope that through this class I am able to learn about some of the useful tools that technology has to offer. I also hope that I learn a way in which I can share these tools with others. Technology is huge in society today and it would be to someones disadvantage if they did not have the basic skills to use it. For that reason, I hope that this class equips me to better serve students and give them the skills they need to navigate in this increasingly technological world.

1 comment:

  1. Playing outside, reading books and taking care of the animals on the farm is awesome experience! My childhood was mostly the first two with no animals or even a family pet! I got my first cell phone (an old Nokia owned by my dad)also in the senior year of high school and I have been using that until my sophomore year before I have my first Android. The point I want to make here is that not everyone is born technology-savvy, and that is fine. My philosophy is as long as you know there are technologies out there and there is a way to utilize it (with or without assistance), it will be fine. We don't expect every teacher to be a IT expert or a programmer. Our job is to make the best use of them to facilitate students' learning.

    ReplyDelete